Maintaining a consistent, meaningful quiet time that breathes life into our relationship with Jesus is a huge challenge. It’s something I’ve battled with for over 45 years.
This week I want to share a few things that have helped me be more consistent in my devotions, and then next week I’ll share some things that have helped me find life and intimacy with Jesus.
IDEAS THAT HELP BUILD CONSISTENCY TO YOUR BIBLE READING / PRAYER TIME
- If at all possible, find a regular time and place that will work for you most of the time. That will help you to make your quiet time a habit. If it becomes a habit, it will become much more consistent than if you try to fit it in here and there.
- Start by trying to be consistent at a length of time that you feel confident you can accomplish most of the time. Once you’ve gotten pretty consistent, then you can increase the length to fit what you want to accomplish. And of course, any time you want you can always do more.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to increase your sense of hunger for intimacy with Jesus. Savor every experience you have in the Word and / or in Prayer. These experiences will increase your hunger for more.
- Decide on an approach to your Bible reading ahead of time. Maybe a book of the Bible paragraph by paragraph. If you like to read more, there are good reading plans that can walk you Through the New Testament or Through the Bible in a Year. You can alway take a break from your schedule on the days the Holy Spirit leads you to a specific passage or topic. Having a set plan helps you will all the rest of the days.
- And finally, be aware that legalism is a killer, and so is guilt. Don’t allow these two to choke the joy out of your times with Jesus. When you miss a day, give yourself GRACE! And then start back again the next day.
WHAT DECISION WOULD HELP YOU BECOME MORE CONSISTENT IN YOUR BIBLE READING AND PRAYER TIME?
DECIDE TODAY – THERE IS GREAT BENEFIT THAT COMES FROM CONSISTENTLY READING THE BIBLE AND PRAYING, DAY IN AND DAY OUT